- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Six miles of Cape Girardeau County roads identified for paving
The Cape Girardeau County highway department is planning to pave about six miles of county road this year.
Scott Bechtold, county highway administrator, told commissioners Monday that the county's road and bridge advisory board identified four county roads for paving, budget permitting.
The department will advertise the project in the next couple of weeks, Bechtold said, and it plans to open bids the first part of March. Provided the bids are in line with the budget, unspecified parts of county roads 387, 343, 365 and 380 are scheduled for hot mix asphalt paving.
The highway department also plans to chip-and-seal surface one mile of County Road 405. Because the road is gravel, it will receive a double coat of chip and seal to ensure better longevity, Bechtold said.
Bechtold said he would also like to resurface up to 10 miles of various county asphalt roads with chip and seal. Specific roads were not mentioned in the report to commissioners, because Bechtold said the department is waiting to see the effects of winter weather on the county roads.
A little more than nine miles of road are also scheduled for grading preparation work in anticipation of 2012 projects. County roads 233, 411, 436 and 525 have been slated for the work to be completed this fall, although Bechtold said he doubts the budget will allow for all four roads to be prepared this year.
Commissioners approved all of the department's recommendations at Monday's meeting.
1 Barton Square, Jackson, MO