- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)22
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
League's 91st birthday
Valentine's Day is very special to me. My sister Laurie, son Christian and the League of Women Voters will all be celebrating birthdays.
The League was founded in 1920 by leaders in the women's suffrage movement; the organization has become synonymous with elections and voting, citizen engagement and civility. We are busy all year, and opportunities for civic engagement abound.
"The League has stood for and worked towards the civil exchange of different points of view," said League president Sue Brockett. "Our work has helped improve functioning of government and bridge the gap between voters and elected officials. From serving on local committees to holding candidate forums and town hall meetings on important -- and sometimes controversial -- issues, League members in the Cape Girardeau area are working to make our community healthy, vibrant and strong."
Our next event will be Tuesday at the Cape Girardeau Public Library. I urge you to come. The topic will be 'Issues on the Cape April Ballot: Funding for Wastewater Plant and Smoke Free Cape.' Come listen to speakers and become more informed on what is going on in your community. Refreshments will be served at 6:30 p.m. with the program starting at 7.
Since 1920, our goal has been to educate and inform. We respect all points of view, and we are nonpartisan. This is what sets us apart from so many organizations, and why we are one of America's most trusted organizations.
SHANNON McNEW, Cape Girardeau