- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)9
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Today we celebrate Valentine's Day. A day when many of us will send cards, flowers and chocolates to a special person in our lives. But as we celebrate today, it's also important to recognized those who exemplify love and commitment through marriage.
At 10 a.m. today, couples who have been married for 50 years or more are invited to the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau for the Schnuck's/KZIM Valentine's Party. A free brunch including cake and punch will be provided.
The annual event has been held in Cape Girardeau since 1976, with an average of 250 couples attending each year.
Today also culminates a weeklong campaign by the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia called National Marriage Week USA. The initiative, according to its website, seeks to provide research on the health of marriages in America, analysis of social and cultural forces affecting marriage, and ways to increase marriage quality and stability.
The benefits of marriage are many, including: overall happiness, living longer and healthier lives, financial stability and providing a secure environment for child rearing.
To learn more on the National Marriage Project, go to www.virginia.edu/marriageproject. And congratulations to all those celebrating 50 years of marriage today.