- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)3
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Jackson School District giving away bricks from 'Old A' building (6/23/17)2
Today we celebrate Valentine's Day. A day when many of us will send cards, flowers and chocolates to a special person in our lives. But as we celebrate today, it's also important to recognized those who exemplify love and commitment through marriage.
At 10 a.m. today, couples who have been married for 50 years or more are invited to the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau for the Schnuck's/KZIM Valentine's Party. A free brunch including cake and punch will be provided.
The annual event has been held in Cape Girardeau since 1976, with an average of 250 couples attending each year.
Today also culminates a weeklong campaign by the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia called National Marriage Week USA. The initiative, according to its website, seeks to provide research on the health of marriages in America, analysis of social and cultural forces affecting marriage, and ways to increase marriage quality and stability.
The benefits of marriage are many, including: overall happiness, living longer and healthier lives, financial stability and providing a secure environment for child rearing.
To learn more on the National Marriage Project, go to www.virginia.edu/marriageproject. And congratulations to all those celebrating 50 years of marriage today.