- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
Today we celebrate Valentine's Day. A day when many of us will send cards, flowers and chocolates to a special person in our lives. But as we celebrate today, it's also important to recognized those who exemplify love and commitment through marriage.
At 10 a.m. today, couples who have been married for 50 years or more are invited to the Arena Building in Cape Girardeau for the Schnuck's/KZIM Valentine's Party. A free brunch including cake and punch will be provided.
The annual event has been held in Cape Girardeau since 1976, with an average of 250 couples attending each year.
Today also culminates a weeklong campaign by the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia called National Marriage Week USA. The initiative, according to its website, seeks to provide research on the health of marriages in America, analysis of social and cultural forces affecting marriage, and ways to increase marriage quality and stability.
The benefits of marriage are many, including: overall happiness, living longer and healthier lives, financial stability and providing a secure environment for child rearing.
To learn more on the National Marriage Project, go to www.virginia.edu/marriageproject. And congratulations to all those celebrating 50 years of marriage today.