- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Cold weather prevents softball team's debut
The Southeast Missouri State softball team will have to wait an additional day to open its season.
Thursday's scheduled game at Jackson State was canceled due to temperatures that only reached about 25 degrees in Jackson, Miss. The contest will not be rescheduled.
Southeast now will open the campaign today at the Mardi Gras Classic in Monroe, La., where the forecast is for temperatures in the upper 40s.
The Redhawks are slated to play five games over the next three days in the event hosted by Louisiana-Monroe, facing Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Northwestern State today.
Gaddie honored again
Southeast senior gymnast Brianna Gaddie has been named Midwest Independent Conference specialist of the week for the third straight time. Gaddie has claimed a MIC award four straight weeks.
Gaddie captured her fourth straight vault title at Saturday's Texas Woman's University triangular. Her winning score of 9.875 matched her career high and ranks sixth on the school's all-time list. It was her 14th career vault title.
Gaddie, who also was fourth on floor and fifth on beam, ranks first in the MIC and 14th in the South Central Region on vault with an average score of 9.800. She also leads the conference on floor with an average score of 9.805, which ranks eighth in the region.
Southeast will host Illinois State at 7 p.m. today. Fans are encouraged to wear pink in support of the program's "Flip for Life" campaign.
Colbert wins award
Southeast senior Brandon Colbert is the Ohio Valley Conference field athlete of the week for track and field.
Colbert placed fifth in both the shot put and weight throw at the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational last weekend in Lincoln, Neb.
Colbert's shot put was 56 feet, 2 1/2 inches and his weight throw with 62-3 3/4. Both rank second in the OVC this season.
The Redhawks compete today at the Hoosier Hills Invitational in Bloomington, Ind.
-- From staff reports