- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
MARBLE HILL, Mo. -- Von Counts, 79, of Marble Hill passed away Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born April 10, 1931, in Success, Ark., son of Elda and Thelma Myrtle Powell Counts. He and Carolyn Rose Holzum were married Dec. 31, 1987.
Counts served in the U.S. Air Force from 1951 through 1955. He also served in the California Army National Guard until his discharge in 1966.
Von was a welder/boilermaker with Local 27 many years. Following his retirement he operated a small welding shop at his home.
Survivors include his wife; a son, Donald (Evelyn) Counts of Marble Hill; a stepdaughter, Sherry (Mark) McCormick of Marble Hill; a brother, Al Counts (Dolly) of St. Louis; six grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a daughter, Janice Goldsmith; and a brother, Jim Counts.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Hutchings Funeral Chapel in Marble Hill.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with the Rev. William Hennecke officiating. Burial will be in St. John's Cemetery at Leopold, Mo., with military honors to be conducted.