Benton business destroyed in early-morning fire

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

BENTON, Mo. -- A Scott County heating and cooling business just outside Benton was destroyed by fire early Monday morning.

NBC Fire District incident commander Phillip Sturgon said he was the first on scene about 1:30 a.m. at K & H Heating and Air -- to find the building fully engulfed with flames. He said the firefighters' main concern was a 500-gallon propane tank behind the building.

"We went to cooling down the tank, and we had a second crew knocking down the fire," Sturgon said.

A camper and it's trailer were also destroyed in the fire, he added.

No one was injured in the fire.

After investigating the incident, the department ruled the fire accidental. An employee had left on a heater often used to keep the building warm, Sturgon said.

Scott County Rural Fire Department and Oran, Mo., firefighters also responded to the incident.

Pertinent Address:

79 Mfa Road, Benton, MO

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: