- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)44
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Benton business destroyed in early-morning fire
BENTON, Mo. -- A Scott County heating and cooling business just outside Benton was destroyed by fire early Monday morning.
NBC Fire District incident commander Phillip Sturgon said he was the first on scene about 1:30 a.m. at K & H Heating and Air -- to find the building fully engulfed with flames. He said the firefighters' main concern was a 500-gallon propane tank behind the building.
"We went to cooling down the tank, and we had a second crew knocking down the fire," Sturgon said.
A camper and it's trailer were also destroyed in the fire, he added.
No one was injured in the fire.
After investigating the incident, the department ruled the fire accidental. An employee had left on a heater often used to keep the building warm, Sturgon said.
Scott County Rural Fire Department and Oran, Mo., firefighters also responded to the incident.
79 Mfa Road, Benton, MO