- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Free speech for all
Having read a recent Speak Out comment concerning free speech, I was totally dumbfounded by the one-sidedness of the idea that the First Amendment is only for liberals and not for conservatives.
Since when was the First Amendment only intended to protect liberal speech and not conservative speech? Who in the world wrote such shuck and jive narrow-mindedness? Saul Alinsky? The ACLU? George McGovern?
To say that the First Amendment only protects the left means that the hardcore left wing media and their cabal have the right to maliciously slam conservatives, but that no conservative has any right to speak out whatsoever, is to insult the Founders' vision of what America is about.
If the Founders were to hear such nonsense, they would tell this individual to go back and read the Constitution again. I suggest this individual do that, to read the entire Constitution, especially the First Amendment.
TONY REDDICK, Chaffee, Mo.