- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Free speech for all
Having read a recent Speak Out comment concerning free speech, I was totally dumbfounded by the one-sidedness of the idea that the First Amendment is only for liberals and not for conservatives.
Since when was the First Amendment only intended to protect liberal speech and not conservative speech? Who in the world wrote such shuck and jive narrow-mindedness? Saul Alinsky? The ACLU? George McGovern?
To say that the First Amendment only protects the left means that the hardcore left wing media and their cabal have the right to maliciously slam conservatives, but that no conservative has any right to speak out whatsoever, is to insult the Founders' vision of what America is about.
If the Founders were to hear such nonsense, they would tell this individual to go back and read the Constitution again. I suggest this individual do that, to read the entire Constitution, especially the First Amendment.
TONY REDDICK, Chaffee, Mo.