Out of the past 1/22/11
Saturday, January 22, 2011
25 years ago: Jan. 22, 1986
The city of Cape Girardeau has agreed to provide extricating assistance throughout Cape Girardeau County at accident scenes to Gene Huckstep's emergency extricating crews, a volunteer service facing disbandment because it has a manpower shortage.
The walls are tumbling down at the former Coca-Cola Bottling plant, immediately east of the Cape Girardeau County Courthouse in Jackson; when Penzel Construction Co. completes demolition work, all that will remain of the three-building complex will be a three-story middle structure, which will be re-constructed into the new county administration building.
50 years ago: Jan. 22, 1961
Bishop Marion F. Forst of the Dodge City, Kan., Diocese, is guest speaker at the annual banquet of the Guild of St. Paul; more than 200 members and guests attend the event held in the cafeteria of St. Mary's Grade School.
Having enjoyed the festivities despite the cold weather, Mr. and Mrs. George Bader of East Cape Girardeau, Ill., return from Washington, D.C., where they attended the inauguration ceremonies for President Kennedy; they were the only ones attending from the immediate Cape Girardeau area.
75 years ago: Jan. 22, 1936
At the end of March, the federal-state relief office in Cape Girardeau, which is administering relief of all sorts in the county, will be closed out and liquidated; relief work will then become the responsibility of the city and the county.
Discussing ways to make Cape Girardeau more attractive, Mayor Edward L. Drum suggests that the town's leaders get behind a movement to re-establish the old Cape Girardeau County Fair; Drum points out there are several sites around the city which should make suitable fairgrounds.
100 years ago: Jan. 22, 1911
Professor E.A. Cockefair has just received two draft mares for use and demonstration purposes on the Normal School farm; they are big gray Percherons, standing over 16 hands high and weighing 1,650 pounds.
The Rev. R.L. Russell, presiding elder of this district for the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is in Cape Girardeau to hold quarterly meeting for the Mt. Tabor and South Cape circuit.
-- Sharon K. Sanders