- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- Roy C. Hayes, 92, of Poplar Bluff died Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2011, at Sunrise on Clayton in St. Louis.
He was born June 22, 1918, in Qulin, Mo. He had lived at Broseley and Poplar Bluff most of his life. He was a member of Poplar Bluff Division of CCC and had held several offices over the past 30 years. He was a volunteer tax preparer with AARP several years and was named Volunteer of the Year in 1996.
Hayes served in the Navy during World War II.
He started teaching at Broseley High School in 1948 and also served as principal. He later was superintendent at Benton, Mo., where he was instrumental in the reorganization forming Kelly High School. He also was the superintendent at Advance, Mo., schools before becoming the director of education for the Federal Job Corps Program. He retired from there in 1981.
He married Hortense J. Gulledge May 24, 1941. She preceded him in death March 20, 2010.
Survivors include two daughters, Karen Long of Houston, Donna Taliaferro of St. Louis; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Visitation will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at White-Sanders Funeral Home in Fisk, Mo.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday in the funeral home chapel, with the Rev. Larry Ward officiating. Burial will be in Brown Chapel Cemetery at Broseley, with full military honors.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.whitesandersfuneralhome.com.