- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)1
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Missouri National Guard's Dement earns promotion
FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. -- Jerry Dement, who lives in Ellington, was recently promoted from the rank of specialist to sergeant in the Missouri Army National Guard.
Dement has been with the National Guard for four years. He is an information technology specialist with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 35th Engineer Brigade in Fort Leonard Wood. The promotion came with his recent transfer from Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1140th Engineer Battalion, of Cape Girardeau.
"This is a good move for me," Dement said. "There are not a lot of these slots available.
"But I've come a long way as far as leadership skills and just setting a good example -- that's always important."
Sgt 1st Class Andrew Moore, Dement's platoon sergeant, said his new troop is a good Soldier, but he knows him better outside of the Guard. Moore recruited Dement's older brother, Jeff, and the two served in the same platoon during a tour in Iraq.
Being in the Missouri Guard is a Family tradition for the Dements. At one point, Jerry, Jeff and their other brother, Jared, were all in the 1140th. Jeff is currently a technical sergeant in the Missouri Air Guard, and Jared is a captain in the North Carolina National Guard.
Dement is a 2003 graduate of Southern Reynolds County R-II High School, of Ellington, and is 18 credit hours short with a bachelor's of arts degree in criminal justice administration from Columbia College. During the week, Dement is a full-time student and works for the Lesterville IV School District as a substitute teacher and an in-school-suspension advisor.
Dement is supported in his military career by his wife, Julie, who lives in Ellington, father, Jeorge, who lives in Ellington, his brothers Jeff, who lives in Cape Girardeau, and Jared, who lives in Fayetteville, N.C.
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please call 1-800-GoGuard or visit www.moguard.com.
For more information about this release, please contact Matthew J. Wilson at 573-638-9500 EXT. 4853 or e-mail him at email@example.com.