- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Out of the past 12/29/10
25 years ago: Dec. 29, 1985
Things are taking shape inside Old St. Vincent's Church; the $400,000 renovation and decorating project is well underway, with craftsmen from Artisan Decorators Inc. working daily.
Although donations to the Salvation Army nationally increased this Christmas season, locally, the Army's Tree of Lights Campaign hasn't reached its goal; the campaign is still $10,000 short of its $55,000 goal.
50 years ago: Dec. 29, 1960
The Cape Girardeau Jaycees will again pick up discarded Christmas trees for a mass burning in Arena Park, announces chairman Frank Mack; the tree pickup will be made Jan. 8, with a large bonfire, public invited to watch, scheduled for 4:30 that afternoon.
Two additional Cape Girardeau firms are added to the lengthening list of those who are joining as patrons of the 1961 Southeast Missouri Regional Science Fair; Cape County Abstract and Title Co. and the Missouri Dry Dock and Repair Co. are the latest additions to the patrons' list, which now numbers 12.
75 years ago: Dec. 29, 1935
In virtually every Cape Girardeau pulpit, pastors turn their attention to the New Year, delivering sermons that recall the events of the year ending and calling upon members to renew their faith; at the Third Street Methodist Church, the Rev. Archie N. Holt preaches on prosperity; a women's quartet composed of Mrs. Glenn O'Connell, Elsie Trovillion, Margaret McLain and Ruth Hopkins sings at the service.
A special service is held in the morning at Trinity Lutheran Church, in which the memory of members of the congregation dying during 1935 are paid due respect; the Rev. F.H. Melzer has conducted funerals for 22 members of his church during the year.
100 years ago: Dec. 29, 1910
Last night, Capt. and Mrs. G.E. Alt opened the doors of their beautiful home on Pacific Street to a group of young society people, who enjoyed their charming hospitality to the fullest extent; the evening was spent in dancing to the excellent music furnished by Mr. Shivelbine.
It is reported the office of the Singer Machine Co. will remove from its present location on Main Street to a room under the Masonic Lodge, corner of Spanish Street and Broadway.
-- Sharon K. Sanders