- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
June Owens Colter, 75, of Imperial, Mo., family from Cape Girardeau, died Sunday, Dec. 26, 2010, at Southeast Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born April 5, 1935, in Cape Girardeau.
June moved to the St. Louis area in 1973. She worked at GSA in the records department. A few years later she worked as a carpenter for a home builder corporation. She was active in her church, St. Joseph's Catholic Church family in Kimmswick, Mo., now in Imperial. She enjoyed house sitting and dog sitting for friends. On many occasions, she helped her friend, Connie Schmitt, with her day care children. She loved bird watching and reading. She was a member of VFW and Eagles auxiliaries.
She was the dear mother of Kathy (Craig) Johnson of Yucaipa, Calif.; dear grandmother of Nikia (Alvie) Roberts of Scott City, Roxane (Pat) Bond of Cedarpines Park, Calif., Cheyenne Johnson of Yucaipa; stepgranddaughter, Misty (Jeremy) Benear of O'Fallon, Mo.; dear great-grandmother of Kira and Kyla Waddington and Kali Roberts of Scott City; great-stepgranddaughters, Madison and Reagan Benear of O'Fallon; four sisters, Pat (William) Reynolds of Advance, Mo., Jane Ingram, Judy (Herb) Graetz and Jo (Mike) Rodgers, all of Cape Girardeau; eight nephews and a niece.
She was preceded in death by a brother, Sonny Chiles; her father, Herbert Chiles; her mother, Geneva Chiles Morton; dear son, Kenny Owens; and former husband and father of her two children, Vinyard Leon Owens.
The funeral will be at 9 a.m. today at Ford and Sons Sprigg Street Chapel, with the Rev. Tom Kiefer officiating. Burial will be in Cape County Memorial Park.
Memorial contributions may be given to St. Mary Cathedral Building Fund.
Online condolences may be made at www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com.