- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Robert F. Kunkel, 89, of Cape Girardeau died Sunday, Dec. 26, 2010, at Saint Francis Medical Center.
He was born May 23, 1921, in Burksville, Ill., son of Joseph F. and Rose Kelley Kunkel.
Kunkel was a member of New Athens Knights of Columbus Council 3789 and VFW Post 3838 in Cape Girardeau.
He was a U.S. Navy veteran and was discharged Oct. 24, 1945.
Survivors include his wife, Alberta Lang Kunkel; three children, Daniel J. (Patricia) Kunkel, Gerald R. Kunkel, Jane Frances Kraus; two grandchildren, Amy and Curtis Kraus; three sisters, Miriam Jung, Madonna Degner and Adele (Syl) Goessling.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Walter Kunkel; and two sisters, Bernadette Kunkel and Mary Siegfried.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday and 9 to 10:30 a.m. Thursday at Quernheim Funeral Home in Waterloo, Ill.
Funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at SS Peter and Paul Church in Waterloo, with the Rev. Dale Maxfield officiating. Burial will be in Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis.
Memorials may be given to Masses or SS Peter and Paul Church.