- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)21
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Vermont gov gives press 1 last dog and pony show
MONTPELIER, Vt. -- Sometimes derided for his "dog and pony show" news conferences, outgoing Vermont Gov. Jim Douglas used his last one to trot out the real thing.
The Republican governor, who leaves office next month after eight years, appeared at his weekly news conference Wednesday with a miniature horse and a Labrador retriever, in a light-hearted jab at his image. The press corps poked some fun, too, giving him a yellow Walmart greeter T-shirt and a set of scissors to kid him about his penchant for ribbon-cuttings and other ceremonial events.
Douglas will be succeeded by Democrat Peter Shumlin.