- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Vermont gov gives press 1 last dog and pony show
MONTPELIER, Vt. -- Sometimes derided for his "dog and pony show" news conferences, outgoing Vermont Gov. Jim Douglas used his last one to trot out the real thing.
The Republican governor, who leaves office next month after eight years, appeared at his weekly news conference Wednesday with a miniature horse and a Labrador retriever, in a light-hearted jab at his image. The press corps poked some fun, too, giving him a yellow Walmart greeter T-shirt and a set of scissors to kid him about his penchant for ribbon-cuttings and other ceremonial events.
Douglas will be succeeded by Democrat Peter Shumlin.