- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
Vermont gov gives press 1 last dog and pony show
MONTPELIER, Vt. -- Sometimes derided for his "dog and pony show" news conferences, outgoing Vermont Gov. Jim Douglas used his last one to trot out the real thing.
The Republican governor, who leaves office next month after eight years, appeared at his weekly news conference Wednesday with a miniature horse and a Labrador retriever, in a light-hearted jab at his image. The press corps poked some fun, too, giving him a yellow Walmart greeter T-shirt and a set of scissors to kid him about his penchant for ribbon-cuttings and other ceremonial events.
Douglas will be succeeded by Democrat Peter Shumlin.