- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)8
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
- Cape police warn of 'Grandparent Scam' (12/4/16)
Vermont gov gives press 1 last dog and pony show
MONTPELIER, Vt. -- Sometimes derided for his "dog and pony show" news conferences, outgoing Vermont Gov. Jim Douglas used his last one to trot out the real thing.
The Republican governor, who leaves office next month after eight years, appeared at his weekly news conference Wednesday with a miniature horse and a Labrador retriever, in a light-hearted jab at his image. The press corps poked some fun, too, giving him a yellow Walmart greeter T-shirt and a set of scissors to kid him about his penchant for ribbon-cuttings and other ceremonial events.
Douglas will be succeeded by Democrat Peter Shumlin.