- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Cairo woman dies following Monday crash on Highway 3
A Cairo, Ill., woman injured in a three-vehicle crash Monday that killed two others, including a Cape Girardeau teen, has died.
Lovella Newell, 76, died today of complications of the crash that occurred around 6 p.m. Monday on Illinois Highway 3, according to the Illinois State Police.
Allen Ray Parker Jr., 18, of Cape Girardeau, and Rose N. Johnson-Wiggins, 54, of Cairo died earlier of injuries sustained in the collision.
According to state police's preliminary investigation, the pickup truck driven by Parker was traveling southbound on Highway 3 just north of Thebes. Traveling northbound were two vehicles; a passenger car driven by Heather M. Miller, 20, of Lancaster, Wis., followed by a minivan driven by Johnson-Wiggins, with two passengers, Kathy Johnson, 53, of Chicago, and Newell. The pickup and passenger car sideswiped. The pickup and the minivan then collided head-on.
The crash remains under investigation.