- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
Speak Out 12/17/10
I used to live in the "loop" area of St Louis. The area was lively and vibrant, but that meant there was noise. It seems in Cape Girardeau we want more growth and business downtown, but that will mean there will be noise. If it's too much for a resident, they should move to a rural area.
Drinking and driving
THIS year marked the 16th anniversary of the death of my best friend from high school. Luckily, I had someone with a sober mind pull me out of the car before we left. I thank them nearly every day in my prayers for that. The holidays are a time for fun and family, but remember not to drive if you've had too much to drink.
HIV vs. cancer
TO correct a previous speak out comment: HIV is a blood-borne disease, though it can be transmitted sexually. There is no cure. The pill to prevent transmission costs $1,500 per month and is only 73 percent effective with full adherence. There are cures for breast cancer but no cure for HIV.
DOES anyone remember Sodom and Gomorrah? People should stop and think.
An account has been set up for the displaced workers at Alliance Bank. What a true showing of good will.
I am so thankful they're going to build the casino. I just hope I live long enough to play my $20 worth that I allow myself and enjoy the view.
WE have been told that no smoking is good for business. It's certainly good for the waitresses and people who work in restaurants, and we understand that. So, if it's good for business to have no smoking, I guess it's good for the casino too. It will help their business and help their employees.
WHAT a wonderful evening of Christmas music with the young talent under the direction of Mike Dumey at Deerfield Lodge. Thanks, Mike.
I want to thank the newspaper for highlighting the three national merit semifinalists at Central High School.
HOW can there be so much unemployment out there? My wife and I have owned a business for three years, and we have not had one adult apply for a job over this time period.
ADULTS have gone way overboard with video cameras. Putting them in Barbie dolls is beyond words.