- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
Taxes not tyranny
To my husband and me, paying taxes has been a privilege, not tyranny as a recent letter to the editor suggested.
It is wonderful to travel on America's roads. It is nice to be able to call a fire department if there is a need.
Ever since biblical times, certain individuals have hated paying taxes. Thus, the Bible says to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.
President Obama is a good president.
MARTHA THOMPSON, Jackson