- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)22
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)6
Almost no oil recovered from sand berms
NEW ORLEANS -- The big set of sand barriers erected by Louisiana's governor to protect the coastline at the height of the Gulf oil spill is being criticized by a presidential commission as a colossal waste of $200 million so far.
Hardly any oil ever reached the berms, government documents obtained by The Associated Press show.
Gov. Bobby Jindal, who pushed the venture over the objections of scientists and federal agencies, is defending it. And despite the commission's scathing report, he plans to move ahead with the project, though with some changes to make it more beneficial.
In its report, the commission said Thursday that its staff can "comfortably conclude that the decision to green-light the underwhelmingly effective, overwhelmingly expensive Louisiana berms project was flawed."