- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Southeast president to get his U.S. citizenship July 4 (06/30/16)21
- Cape murderer still will serve 2 life sentences; appeals court forced reduced charge (06/30/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
Holloway, Baker named to all-state first team in soccer
A pair of local soccer players earned first-team all-state honors from the Missouri State High School Soccer Coaches Association after helping lead their teams to postseason runs.
Notre Dame junior goalkeeper James Holloway earned Class 2 first-team honors, while Jackson junior midfielder Clayton Baker earned the same honor in Class 3.
Holloway posted 14 shutouts for the Bulldogs this season. He also earned goalkeeper of the year honors for the Southeast region.
Baker also was named the Class 3 Southeast region player of the year, while teammates Law Duncan was the offensive player of the year and Cody Boehme was the defensive player of the year. Jackson coach Zack Walton was named the region's coach of the year for leading the Indians to their first sectional title in school history. Jackson finished ninth in the season's final poll.
Notre Dame senior midfielder Tyler Buelow made the Class 2 all-state second team, while Perryville junior forward Bryce Weibrecht earned honorable mention.
Boehme earned second-team honors in Class 3.
Saxony Lutheran's Matt Stueve, who helped lead the Crusaders to a district championship, was named to the all-state second team in Class 1. Teammates Ryan Sprandel and Shawn Hadler earned honorable mention.
Local all-region honorees
First team -- Matt Stueve, Saxony Lutheran, sr., GK; Ryan Sprandel, Saxony Lutheran, sr., MF; Shawn Hadler, Saxony Lutheran, sr., D
Goalkeeper of the year -- James Holloway, Notre Dame
First team -- Jonathan Lynch, Notre Dame, jr., F; Bryce Weibrecht, Perryville, jr., F; James Holloway, Notre Dame, jr., GK; Tyler Buelow, Notre Dame, sr., MF
Second team -- Alex Robinson, Perryville, jr., MF
Player of the year -- Clayton Baker, Jackson
Offensive player of the year -- Law Duncan, Jackson
Defensive player of the year -- Cody Boehme, Jackson
Coach of the year -- Zack Walton, Jackson
First team -- Myles Edwards, Central, sr., D; Vance Toole, Central, jr., D; Hunter Garrison, Jackson, sr., D; Ryan Schlick, Jackson, jr., D; Law Duncan, Jackson, jr., F; Cody Boehme, Jackson, sr., D; Jesse Hurt, Central, sr., MF; Clayton Baker, Jackson, jr., MF
Two Central players were rewarded with postseason honors after helping the Tigers tie the school record for victories during their 10-2 campaign.
Senior running back Keilon Moore and senior offensive lineman Zach Horrell both were named to the Missouri Football Coaches Association's all-state third team.