- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
No one injured in evening fire on Emerald Street
All on-duty Cape Girardeau firefighters responded to a house fire at 616 Emerald St. in Cape Girardeau about 5:45 p.m.
Firefighters initially received reports of victims trapped on the home's second story, but a secondary search complete at 6:10 p.m. confirmed there was no one inside the two-story structure.
Five fire rescue crews were called to the scene in addition to an ambulance. The fire was contained shortly after 6 p.m., however, crews remained at the scene.
Nikkia McClure, best friend of one of the home's renters, said she and her children were on the bottom floor of the home when they smelled smoke. McClure said she thought it was food burning in the kitchen, but during a check of the house she saw a mattress on fire in a first-floor bedroom.
Six children and two adults live in the home, she said.
After the fire was put out, police officers and fire crews were still attempting to contact the property owner.