- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Couple flees after robbing People's Bank in Altenburg
ALTENBURG, Mo. -- The Perry County Sheriff's Department was searching Tuesday for a 6-foot-tall white male said to have robbed People's Bank in Altenburg around just before 1 p.m.
According to Sheriff Gary Schaaf the man left the scene in a tan 1990s Ford Taurus with duct tape over the license plate. Authorities also reported the man was wearing dark coveralls and was armed with a camouflage rifle.
The man left the scene with a woman wearing a red coat, first traveling south on Highway A. In a news release, the sheriff said the pair could have taken Highway C into Cape Girardeau County or north toward Highway 51, leading to Chester, Ill.
Deputies from the sheriff's department, the Perryville Police Department and the Missouri State Highway Patrol searched the area.
It's unknown if the perpetrator left the bank with cash.