- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)2
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
Morningstar enlists in the Missouri National Guard
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Shawn Morningstar, of Cape Girardeau, recently enlisted in the Headquarters Company of the 1140th Engineer Battalion.
Morningstar has four years of active duty service with the Marine Corps, and joined the Guard to pursue his education and give back to his community.
"I want to be a part of defending my country for my family and their future," said Morningstar, 35. "I want to be a part of making my homeland safe."
Staff Sgt. Steven Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Morningstar will be a positive addition to the company.
"He's a good Soldier," said Bell. "He plans to attend the Officer Candidate School and he'll make a great officer for the enlisted Soldiers of the 1140th Engineer Battalion."
Morningstar is supported in his military career by his wife Laura and their two children, Zachary, 10, and Lillie, 3.