- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Morningstar enlists in the Missouri National Guard
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Shawn Morningstar, of Cape Girardeau, recently enlisted in the Headquarters Company of the 1140th Engineer Battalion.
Morningstar has four years of active duty service with the Marine Corps, and joined the Guard to pursue his education and give back to his community.
"I want to be a part of defending my country for my family and their future," said Morningstar, 35. "I want to be a part of making my homeland safe."
Staff Sgt. Steven Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Morningstar will be a positive addition to the company.
"He's a good Soldier," said Bell. "He plans to attend the Officer Candidate School and he'll make a great officer for the enlisted Soldiers of the 1140th Engineer Battalion."
Morningstar is supported in his military career by his wife Laura and their two children, Zachary, 10, and Lillie, 3.