- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)8
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)12
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Morningstar enlists in the Missouri National Guard
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Shawn Morningstar, of Cape Girardeau, recently enlisted in the Headquarters Company of the 1140th Engineer Battalion.
Morningstar has four years of active duty service with the Marine Corps, and joined the Guard to pursue his education and give back to his community.
"I want to be a part of defending my country for my family and their future," said Morningstar, 35. "I want to be a part of making my homeland safe."
Staff Sgt. Steven Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Morningstar will be a positive addition to the company.
"He's a good Soldier," said Bell. "He plans to attend the Officer Candidate School and he'll make a great officer for the enlisted Soldiers of the 1140th Engineer Battalion."
Morningstar is supported in his military career by his wife Laura and their two children, Zachary, 10, and Lillie, 3.