- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Politics to profits: Brothers launch new investing concept on Wall Street (10/19/17)1
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)1
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- Food Giant in Chaffee is robbed (10/17/17)
- Owner of dinosaur relics demands new board of directors, business plan at Bollinger County Museum (10/17/17)
- Cape's casino flourishing as it celebrates fifth year (10/22/17)3
Morningstar enlists in the Missouri National Guard
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Shawn Morningstar, of Cape Girardeau, recently enlisted in the Headquarters Company of the 1140th Engineer Battalion.
Morningstar has four years of active duty service with the Marine Corps, and joined the Guard to pursue his education and give back to his community.
"I want to be a part of defending my country for my family and their future," said Morningstar, 35. "I want to be a part of making my homeland safe."
Staff Sgt. Steven Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Morningstar will be a positive addition to the company.
"He's a good Soldier," said Bell. "He plans to attend the Officer Candidate School and he'll make a great officer for the enlisted Soldiers of the 1140th Engineer Battalion."
Morningstar is supported in his military career by his wife Laura and their two children, Zachary, 10, and Lillie, 3.