- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- A message from heaven (1/23/17)
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Area residents among those attending inauguration, women's march (1/22/17)91
- Comedian, cancer survivor Tom Green headlines sold-out Cancer Center benefit (1/22/17)
Morningstar enlists in the Missouri National Guard
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Shawn Morningstar, of Cape Girardeau, recently enlisted in the Headquarters Company of the 1140th Engineer Battalion.
Morningstar has four years of active duty service with the Marine Corps, and joined the Guard to pursue his education and give back to his community.
"I want to be a part of defending my country for my family and their future," said Morningstar, 35. "I want to be a part of making my homeland safe."
Staff Sgt. Steven Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Morningstar will be a positive addition to the company.
"He's a good Soldier," said Bell. "He plans to attend the Officer Candidate School and he'll make a great officer for the enlisted Soldiers of the 1140th Engineer Battalion."
Morningstar is supported in his military career by his wife Laura and their two children, Zachary, 10, and Lillie, 3.