- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Cape attorney Brandon Cooper to run for judge (11/20/17)2
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- 1 dead, 3 hurt in accident on Highway 72 (11/19/17)
This space if frequently used to encourage the community to get involved and commend those who are already doing great work. This year, our community has been especially active, and today we salute all those in Southeast Missouri who have used their time, talents and treasures for the betterment of our community.
Several issues have aroused strong opinions and a charge to action in our local government. Southeast Missourians have expressed their views in public forums, including this page, on issues such as peripheral zoning, a smoking ban, the operation of a casino and a noise ordinance -- just to name a few hot-button issues.
The midterm election spurred many to action on behalf of candidates and issues. This passion was evident in the large number of election letters received.
Our community is also a generous one. Many charities have raised much needed dollars for worthy causes; organizations have offered mentoring opportunities as well as a host of other chances to volunteer; and churches and other faith-based organizations have traveled thousands of miles on mission trips, many offering free medical care to those living in impoverished countries.
Yes, our community has indeed been active this year. Thank you, Southeast Missouri. An engaged community is good for our democracy.