- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Harbor Freight Tools store coming to Cape (3/29/17)3
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Cape school board rejects proposal to allow parochial-school students to play sports (3/28/17)63
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
This space if frequently used to encourage the community to get involved and commend those who are already doing great work. This year, our community has been especially active, and today we salute all those in Southeast Missouri who have used their time, talents and treasures for the betterment of our community.
Several issues have aroused strong opinions and a charge to action in our local government. Southeast Missourians have expressed their views in public forums, including this page, on issues such as peripheral zoning, a smoking ban, the operation of a casino and a noise ordinance -- just to name a few hot-button issues.
The midterm election spurred many to action on behalf of candidates and issues. This passion was evident in the large number of election letters received.
Our community is also a generous one. Many charities have raised much needed dollars for worthy causes; organizations have offered mentoring opportunities as well as a host of other chances to volunteer; and churches and other faith-based organizations have traveled thousands of miles on mission trips, many offering free medical care to those living in impoverished countries.
Yes, our community has indeed been active this year. Thank you, Southeast Missouri. An engaged community is good for our democracy.