- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)6
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
CAIRO, Ill. -- Jean Swoboda, 88, of Cairo died Friday, Dec. 3, 2010, at Daystar Care Center.
She was born Nov. 7, 1922, in Cairo, daughter of Edward J. and Abbie Williams Stuart. She married Roy E. Swoboda, who preceded her in death in 1989.
In addition to her parents and husband, she was also preceded in death by two sisters, Eleanor Powell and Betty Stuart; a brother, Edward Stuart Jr.; and two infant sisters.
Mrs. Swoboda was a member of St. Patrick's Church and its Altar Guild and choir. She was also a member of St. Teresa's Circle of Daughters of Isabella.
Survivors include four daughters, Mary Ellen and husband Larry Mohundro of Cape Girardeau, Cathy Dean of Olive Branch, Ill., Betty Jean and husband Dave Schnake of Carterville, Ill., Janet and husband Billy Moses of Mounds, Ill.; two sons, Edward and wife Patti Swoboda of Lititz, Pa., Stuart and wife Kathy Swoboda of Cape Girardeau; 16 grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; other relatives and many friends.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday at St. Patrick's Church. The rosary will be recited at 7:30 p.m.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the church, with the Rev. Jerome Fortenberry and the Rev. John Agbasiera as celebrants. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery at Villa Ridge, Ill.
At the request of the family, expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to Cairo Public Library, Cairo Custom House or Daystar Care Center in memory of Mrs. Swoboda.
Barkett Funeral Home of Cairo is in charge of arrangements.