- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)5
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
David Russell named higher ed commissioner
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- A former administrator at the University of Missouri has been named chief of the Missouri Department of Higher Education. David Russell has been serving as interim higher education commissioner since July. The Coordinating Board for Higher Education decided Thursday to make his position permanent.
Russell worked in the University of Missouri system for 19 years, most recently as the senior associate vice president and chief of staff. Before that, he served 22 years in the Army, retiring in 1991 as a lieutenant colonel.
Russell, of Columbia, agreed to a five-year commitment as higher education commissioner. He replaces Robert Stein, who retired July 1.