- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Legislative Gathering National Adoption Month
Saturday, November 20 is National Adoption Day when many adoptive families and their children accross the United States will gather in numbers before circuit judges to have thier adoptions finalized, celebrating adoption.
On November 16 at the Legislative Gathering hosted by Lutheran Family and Children's Services, Mayor Harry Rediger signed and then read the National Adoption Month Proclamation. In Missouri alone, some 14,256 children await permanency in adoptive families. Nationally, that number is 115,000. The State of Missouri found forever homes for approximately 3,399 children. Lutheran Family and Children's Services (LFCS) placed 111 infants and children up to age 18 into adoptive homes in 2009. Locally, LFCS, the Children's Division, CASA and Room for One More have joined in a Children's Coalition to promote adoption and foster care to meet the need for forever homes for children through US adoptions as well as from other countries. Some 12,753 children were adopted from other countries in 2009. Representative Scott Lipke, Judge Elect, 32nd Circuit, also presented an Adoption Resolution from the State of Missouri for National Adoption Month. Guest for the event included newly elected County Commissioner, Clint Tracy, newly elected Representative Donna Lichtnegger, several attorneys, the Honorable Judge Ben Lewis and LFCS board members.
An Adoption Power Hour is held at LFCS, 3178 Blattner Dr., in Cape the third Tuesday night monthly at 6:00. Call in to reserve setting: 334-5866.