- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)9
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Cape Girardeau resident named a Lincoln Laureate
Kelsy Holloway, a resident of Cape Girardeau, MO, and a senior at Dominican University, has been named a Lincoln Laureate Award-winner in the State of Illinois. The Student Laureate Medallion is given each year for excellence in curricular and extracurricular activities to students who have overcome obstacles in order to achieve their educational goals. Holloway was honored during the annual Student Laureate ceremony on November 6 at the Old State Capitol in Springfield.
Holloway will graduate in May 2011 with a degree in early childhood education and will be a certified teacher. She has been a four-year member of the Dominican women's soccer team and was named a Scholar Athlete for the 2009-2010 academic year. Holloway has also participated in service learning at Dominican, volunteering at St. Angela School in Chicago's Austin neighborhood and at a PADS homeless shelter in Oak Park, IL. She also participated in an alternative spring break trip to Madison, WI, where she helped build homes with Habitat for Humanity.
"These students have exhibited a personal commitment to excel as seen by their remarkable academic accomplishments," said Thomas S. Johnson, Chancellor of the Lincoln Academy, who added, "They serve as role models to other Illinois students. With hard-working and dedicated young leaders such as these, Illinois and the rest of the nation can look forward to a bright future."
Founded in 1901, Dominican University is a comprehensive, coeducational Catholic institution offering bachelor's degrees through the Rosary College of Arts and Sciences and master's degrees through the Graduate School of Library and Information Science, the Brennan School of Business, the School of Education, and the Graduate School of Social Work. The university also offers a doctoral degree in library and information science. In the 2011 issue of America's Best Colleges, U.S. News & World Report ranked Dominican University in the top 20 of Midwest master's level universities. The magazine also ranked Dominican as one of three Great Schools at a Great Price in Illinois.