- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)4
- Man out on bond for alleged molestation of boys charged with abusing girl (4/18/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)
- Deputy: Man kicked, broke uncle's ribs after yard-work dispute (4/19/17)
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Police: S.C. robbery suspect tries to flee on lawn mower
AIKEN, S.C. -- Police in South Carolina say a man attempted a slow getaway by lawn mower after robbing a convenience store.
Aiken County sheriff's deputies told The Aiken Standard the man left the store on a riding lawn mower Thursday morning but didn't get far before he was arrested.
Capt. Troy Elwell said Ricky New has been charged with first-degree assault and battery and armed robbery.
Investigators say the suspect beat a store clerk with a stick during the robbery. New was being held at the Aiken County Jail. It wasn't yet known if he has an attorney.