- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)39
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
Report: Stimulus boosted jobs
WASHINGTON -- The White House says the $800 billion stimulus law continues to improve economic conditions and increase employment.
President Obama's Council of Economic Advisers issued a report Thursday saying the law has created or saved 2.7 million to 3.7 million jobs through the third quarter of this year. Obama economists predicted in 2009 that the stimulus would save or create 3.5 million jobs.
Unemployment, however, is 9.6 percent. And the report comes after an election in which voters appeared to reject assertions by Obama and Democrats that they had pulled the country out of an economic quagmire.