- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)2
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- Southerner by Tractors owners seek to bring 'sophisticated Southern' cuisine (9/12/17)
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)1
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Report: Stimulus boosted jobs
WASHINGTON -- The White House says the $800 billion stimulus law continues to improve economic conditions and increase employment.
President Obama's Council of Economic Advisers issued a report Thursday saying the law has created or saved 2.7 million to 3.7 million jobs through the third quarter of this year. Obama economists predicted in 2009 that the stimulus would save or create 3.5 million jobs.
Unemployment, however, is 9.6 percent. And the report comes after an election in which voters appeared to reject assertions by Obama and Democrats that they had pulled the country out of an economic quagmire.