- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Congress should make sacrifices
The debt commission has leaked some of its recommendations to cut our spending and reduce our debt. It has said that we will all have to share in the sacrifice of cutting spending. I say one place we should make drastic cuts is in our congressional salaries, pensions and benefits.
The average salary of a private citizen is $50,000. The salary of a member of Congress is over $170,000. Their pensions are a defined benefit. Most of our retirement accounts are a defined contribution and are dependent on what we contribute and on the stock market. They have the best medical benefits known to man. We are upping our co-pay and our deductible to get our rates as low as possible. They get more paid days off than any of us, by far. Do they really work for us?
The Washington ruling class are responsible for the mess we are in. Let them make the first sacrifice. Stop all congressional pensions immediately, make them pay for their own health insurance and cut their pay to the average wage of Americans who are paying their salary.
Please call your senators and representatives, and tell them they should make the first sacrifice.
I'm all for shared sacrifice. Let's just start with Congress.
LINDA REUTZEL, Cape Girardeau