- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
ANNA, Ill. -- Luther E. Parr, 88, of Cobden, Ill., died Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010, at Illinois Veterans Home in Anna.
He was born Feb. 28, 1922 in Cypress, Ill., to Lionel and Mary Turner Parr. He married Kedron Lingle on April 25, 1943.
He was a teacher at Swan Pond School before World War II. After returning he taught school for one year at Dongola, Ill., and for 37 years at Anna Junior High School. He coached 25 years of basketball, baseball and track and also was a bus driver.
He worked summers at Bunny Bread as a relief driver. He served his country honorably in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II in Europe. He was a life member of the VFW 3455 and a was a member at Cypress Baptist Church.
Survivors include his wife, Kedron, of Cobden; two sons and three daughters-in-law, Morris "Luke" and Linda Parr of Greenup, Ill., LaRue and Sherry Parr of Dongola and Jeannie Parr of Buncombe, Ill.; five grandchildren, Richard, Steven, Clayton, Chandler and Tim Parr; five great-grandchildren, Dylan, Keedran, Chandra, Jake and Zack; a brother, Lionel J. (Roseann) Parr of Maryville, Ind.; a sister, Thelma and husband Shirley Moake of Cypress; a brother-in-law, Leon Cooley of Anna; two sisters-in-law, Pat Parr of California and Shirley Parr of Cypress, nieces, nephews and other relatives.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a son, P.L. Parr; two brothers, Delbert and Ray Parr; one sister, Nadine Cooley; two half brothers, Wayne and Truman Parr; and two half sisters, Lela Templeton and Mildred Hinkle.
Visitation will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. today and until time of service Tuesday at Crain Funeral Home in Anna-Jonesboro.
Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home in Anna-Jonesboro with the Rev. Lucien Bozarth officiating.
Burial will be in Anna Cemetery with military honors by Carroll P. Foster Post 3455.
Memorials may be made to the Illinois Veteran Home Activity Fund and will be accepted at the funeral home.
To leave online condolences visit www.crainsonline.com.