- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Southeast roundup: Redhawks cross country team earns OVC honor
The Southeast Missouri State men's cross country team earned the 2010-11 Ohio Valley Conference Team Sportsmanship Award.
The awards, voted on by the athletes and coaches of the respective sports, are bestowed upon the conference squads deemed to have best exhibited the standards of sportsmanship and ethical behavior as outlined by the OVC and NCAA.
"I am proud of my men's team for being the recipients of this award," Southeast coach Ryan Lane said in a release. "Our goal as a program is to be great athletes, but above even that, to be great people and great students. Our team is honored to have been chosen by our peers for this award."
Southeast's men finished second at the recent OVC Championships.
Both Southeast squads compete Saturday at the NCAA Midwest Regional in Peoria, Ill.
The Southeast softball team has been selected among 132 NCAA Division I programs by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association to the organization's girls got game All-Academic Team for the 2009-10 academic year.
Southeast, among seven OVC squads honored, ranked 91st nationally with a 3.155 grade-point average. This marks the 11th straight year the Redhawks have been selected.
Four Southeast players were named NFCA Scholar Athletes: Nicole Troncoso, Whitney Dupuis, Stefanie Barnes and Renee Kertz.
-- From staff reports