- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- I will not be silenced (5/16/17)4
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
Stewart to Play in National Tournament
Charis Stewart, a freshman from Cape Girardeau Central High School, is going to the NJCAA Division II volleyball national tournament.
Stewart is a 6-1 middle hitter for the East Central College volleyball Lady Falcons, who have been seeded fourth for the national event, being held Nov. 18-20 in Wisconsin Dells.
The Lady Falcons (36-7) open against 13th-seeded Kirkwood Community College of Iowa Thursday (Nov. 18) at 3 p.m. ECC previously has beaten Kirkwood twice this season.
Stewart currently is the team's third middle hitter, backing up sophomores Aleisha Joyce and Natalie Davis.
In 23 games, she has posted 11 kills, six digs and four total blocks.
Stewart has stepped up several times this season. Playing against the host school at the Des Moines Area Community College Tournament Oct. 8, Stewart filled in an injured Joyce during the second and third games of the four-game victory.
She posted her best single-game total for kills Oct. 13 against Lewis & Clark Community College with two. She had four digs against Shawnee Community College Sept. 29 and posted two blocks against St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley Oct. 27.