- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
Stewart to Play in National Tournament
Charis Stewart, a freshman from Cape Girardeau Central High School, is going to the NJCAA Division II volleyball national tournament.
Stewart is a 6-1 middle hitter for the East Central College volleyball Lady Falcons, who have been seeded fourth for the national event, being held Nov. 18-20 in Wisconsin Dells.
The Lady Falcons (36-7) open against 13th-seeded Kirkwood Community College of Iowa Thursday (Nov. 18) at 3 p.m. ECC previously has beaten Kirkwood twice this season.
Stewart currently is the team's third middle hitter, backing up sophomores Aleisha Joyce and Natalie Davis.
In 23 games, she has posted 11 kills, six digs and four total blocks.
Stewart has stepped up several times this season. Playing against the host school at the Des Moines Area Community College Tournament Oct. 8, Stewart filled in an injured Joyce during the second and third games of the four-game victory.
She posted her best single-game total for kills Oct. 13 against Lewis & Clark Community College with two. She had four digs against Shawnee Community College Sept. 29 and posted two blocks against St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley Oct. 27.