- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
Stewart to Play in National Tournament
Charis Stewart, a freshman from Cape Girardeau Central High School, is going to the NJCAA Division II volleyball national tournament.
Stewart is a 6-1 middle hitter for the East Central College volleyball Lady Falcons, who have been seeded fourth for the national event, being held Nov. 18-20 in Wisconsin Dells.
The Lady Falcons (36-7) open against 13th-seeded Kirkwood Community College of Iowa Thursday (Nov. 18) at 3 p.m. ECC previously has beaten Kirkwood twice this season.
Stewart currently is the team's third middle hitter, backing up sophomores Aleisha Joyce and Natalie Davis.
In 23 games, she has posted 11 kills, six digs and four total blocks.
Stewart has stepped up several times this season. Playing against the host school at the Des Moines Area Community College Tournament Oct. 8, Stewart filled in an injured Joyce during the second and third games of the four-game victory.
She posted her best single-game total for kills Oct. 13 against Lewis & Clark Community College with two. She had four digs against Shawnee Community College Sept. 29 and posted two blocks against St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley Oct. 27.