- Former Cape cop faces stealing-by-deceit charge (6/18/17)3
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Jackson woman accused of trying to hit another with her truck (6/15/17)
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)1
- Police search for two suspects in abduction, robbery case; victim found unharmed in Scott County field (6/16/17)1
- Cape man faces charges of victim tampering (6/18/17)
- Racial disparity of traffic stops inches upward in Cape (6/15/17)6
- Police: Cape abduction may have ties to Georgia homicide (6/18/17)5
- 3 drown in Southeast Missouri in three days (6/16/17)
- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
Stewart to Play in National Tournament
Charis Stewart, a freshman from Cape Girardeau Central High School, is going to the NJCAA Division II volleyball national tournament.
Stewart is a 6-1 middle hitter for the East Central College volleyball Lady Falcons, who have been seeded fourth for the national event, being held Nov. 18-20 in Wisconsin Dells.
The Lady Falcons (36-7) open against 13th-seeded Kirkwood Community College of Iowa Thursday (Nov. 18) at 3 p.m. ECC previously has beaten Kirkwood twice this season.
Stewart currently is the team's third middle hitter, backing up sophomores Aleisha Joyce and Natalie Davis.
In 23 games, she has posted 11 kills, six digs and four total blocks.
Stewart has stepped up several times this season. Playing against the host school at the Des Moines Area Community College Tournament Oct. 8, Stewart filled in an injured Joyce during the second and third games of the four-game victory.
She posted her best single-game total for kills Oct. 13 against Lewis & Clark Community College with two. She had four digs against Shawnee Community College Sept. 29 and posted two blocks against St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley Oct. 27.