- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
Stewart to Play in National Tournament
Charis Stewart, a freshman from Cape Girardeau Central High School, is going to the NJCAA Division II volleyball national tournament.
Stewart is a 6-1 middle hitter for the East Central College volleyball Lady Falcons, who have been seeded fourth for the national event, being held Nov. 18-20 in Wisconsin Dells.
The Lady Falcons (36-7) open against 13th-seeded Kirkwood Community College of Iowa Thursday (Nov. 18) at 3 p.m. ECC previously has beaten Kirkwood twice this season.
Stewart currently is the team's third middle hitter, backing up sophomores Aleisha Joyce and Natalie Davis.
In 23 games, she has posted 11 kills, six digs and four total blocks.
Stewart has stepped up several times this season. Playing against the host school at the Des Moines Area Community College Tournament Oct. 8, Stewart filled in an injured Joyce during the second and third games of the four-game victory.
She posted her best single-game total for kills Oct. 13 against Lewis & Clark Community College with two. She had four digs against Shawnee Community College Sept. 29 and posted two blocks against St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley Oct. 27.