- Andrew Jackson bridal shop under new ownership (12/31/12)
- Ameren Missouri seeks new transmission line (12/24/12)
- Perryville company behind Kentucky distillery (12/17/12)
- Regional unemployment down, retail sales holding (12/10/12)
- Realtors glad to see rebound in home sales (12/03/12)
- United Way campaign jumps off to strong start (11/26/12)
- Join in to share Black Friday shopping stories (11/19/12)
Football wife, business owners headline Global Entrepreneurship Week
Locals who've launched -- that is, started their own successful business -- and Brenda Warner, wife of former NFL star Kurt Warner, will be highlights of the Southeast Missouri State University Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship's Global Entrepreneurship Week, Nov. 15 to 20. A series of business-focused presentations will be given each day during the week on a variety of topics, including agriculture entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship in the arts.
Andy Schwartz of AJ Adhesives, Chris Edmonds of Element 74 and Laurie Everett of Annie Laurie's Antiques, all local business owners, will host a roundtable discussion at noon Nov. 18 at Dempster Hall.
The week's events will wrap up Nov. 20 with a Women Inspiring Entrepreneurship conference beginning at 7:45 a.m. in Dempster Hall. Brenda Warner -- an author, mother and philanthropist -- will be the keynote speaker at the event, which will also include breakout sessions and networking opportunities. Preregistration is required for the conference. For more information, visit www.semo.edu/gew or call 651-2929.
* Chamber seeks nominees: The Education Committee of the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce is accepting nominations for the 2011 Educator of the Year. This annual award highlights local kindergarten through 12th-grade educators on their commitment, dedication and service to the education field. Nominations will be accepted up until 5 p.m. Dec. 3. Nomination forms can be accessed by visiting the chamber website at www.capechamber.com/educatorsform.aspx.
* Turkey drive underway: Big River Telephone, Schnucks, The Salvation Army and local radio stations are taking part in Big River Telephone's seventh annual Holiday Turkey Drive. In previous years, the Holiday Turkey Drive has provided thousands of meals for people needing assistance during the holiday season. The Salvation Army benefits from donations to this program. Donations may be made at Schnucks. The Holiday Turkey Drive will end Dec. 21.
* Floral shop opens: Holiday 365 Florist and Gifts recently opened at 101 N. Main St. in Cape Girardeau. The store, owned by DWB Enterprises LLC, is managed by David Bell of Cape Girardeau. It features gifts and flowers for a variety of seasons.
* Grand opening planned: Pitter's Cafe & Lounge, formerly the Mississippi Mud House, will have a grand opening Friday. The cafe is at 813 Broadway.
* Verizon improves Illinois network: Verizon Wireless, has activated a new cell site in Anna, Ill., which will enable more customers to use its wireless phones and air cards with clearer reception and fewer dropped calls. The new cell site improves Verizon Wireless voice and data coverage between Anna and Cobden, Ill. Year-to-date, Verizon Wireless has invested $ 135.5 in its Illinois network.
Southeast Missourian business reporter Melissa Miller may be contacted at 388-3646 or email@example.com.