- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Central High School's three senior cheerleaders show their spirit
They've had their ups and downs, but the seniors on Cape Girardeau Central High School's cheerleading team say they've enjoyed the ride. As they wind down their time on the squad, the trio from an award-winning squad takes a look back and all the good times they've had together. Meet Jessica Hagerty, Alicia Kennon and Elizabeth Johnson-Carter.
neXt: How did you get started?
EJ-C: When I was younger, in elementary school, I joined a cheerleading team that cheered for a youth football team. It wasn't real cheerleading, there weren't any stunts. We just did cheers. I participated in that all the years I could do that. Then, when I got in junior high I joined cheerleading, and I've tried out every year since.
neXt: What's the craziest stunt you've ever done?
JH: We do a helicopter, which is a girl flying through the air horizontally. Alicia is one of the fliers. We get her all set. She's at chest level and we all push at the same time and she twists 180 degrees [as high as 12 feet in the air], and we catch her.
neXt: What's the nuttiest thing you've ever done?
AK: My eighth-grade year I did a toe touch at a basketball game, and I landed straight on my butt. The basketball team saw it and the whole crowd saw it, but I just stayed down and cheered. That's the nuttiest thing I've ever done.
neXt: What's your favorite food?
JH: French fries. My dad used to be a chef, so when he makes them he puts weird spices and stuff on them. When he makes them they're really good.
neXt: What's your favorite memory of high school?
AK: Being a senior. I've been waiting my whole life to be a senior. I definitely have senioritis. In cheerleading we started out with 12 girls in my grade and we ended up with three. We've experienced so much together. My best memory is going along with your friends, just being together.
EJ-C: I did enjoy the basketball season last year. We beat Sikeston, and that was at home and they were the No. 1 team. That was the best feeling.