- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)6
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)13
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
Central High School's three senior cheerleaders show their spirit
They've had their ups and downs, but the seniors on Cape Girardeau Central High School's cheerleading team say they've enjoyed the ride. As they wind down their time on the squad, the trio from an award-winning squad takes a look back and all the good times they've had together. Meet Jessica Hagerty, Alicia Kennon and Elizabeth Johnson-Carter.
neXt: How did you get started?
EJ-C: When I was younger, in elementary school, I joined a cheerleading team that cheered for a youth football team. It wasn't real cheerleading, there weren't any stunts. We just did cheers. I participated in that all the years I could do that. Then, when I got in junior high I joined cheerleading, and I've tried out every year since.
neXt: What's the craziest stunt you've ever done?
JH: We do a helicopter, which is a girl flying through the air horizontally. Alicia is one of the fliers. We get her all set. She's at chest level and we all push at the same time and she twists 180 degrees [as high as 12 feet in the air], and we catch her.
neXt: What's the nuttiest thing you've ever done?
AK: My eighth-grade year I did a toe touch at a basketball game, and I landed straight on my butt. The basketball team saw it and the whole crowd saw it, but I just stayed down and cheered. That's the nuttiest thing I've ever done.
neXt: What's your favorite food?
JH: French fries. My dad used to be a chef, so when he makes them he puts weird spices and stuff on them. When he makes them they're really good.
neXt: What's your favorite memory of high school?
AK: Being a senior. I've been waiting my whole life to be a senior. I definitely have senioritis. In cheerleading we started out with 12 girls in my grade and we ended up with three. We've experienced so much together. My best memory is going along with your friends, just being together.
EJ-C: I did enjoy the basketball season last year. We beat Sikeston, and that was at home and they were the No. 1 team. That was the best feeling.