- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Southeast Missourian Player of the Week: Jessica Menz
Notre Dame junior Jessica Menz is the Southeast Missourian Player of the Week.
The Bulldogs' third baseman had three hits in four at-bats -- all doubles -- in Notre Dame's 7-3 championship game victory over Perryville in the Class 3 District 1 tournament on Thursday.
Menz started the scoring in the pivotal fourth inning for Notre Dame, knocking in Savanna Ayers for the first of five runs in the frame.
"We were hitting the ball throughout all the innings, they just started finding holes, and I knew they would," Menz told the Missourian after the game. "We just had to keep hitting the ball."
With the win, Menz and the Bulldogs avenged a loss to Perryville from earlier in the season and kept their Class 3 state title defense alive.
"It's amazing," she said.
Menz had multiple hits in Notre Dame's 8-2 semifinal win over North County earlier on Thursday, going 2 for 4 with an RBI.