Former Poplar Bluff mayor arrested for driving while suspended, again

Friday, October 29, 2010

POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- Just more than three weeks after being arrested for allegedly driving with a suspended license, a former Greater Poplar Bluff Area Chamber of Commerce executive and Poplar Bluff mayor found himself in jail again Tuesday.

At about 1 p.m. Tuesday, while at the Mansion Mall Marketplace, a Poplar Bluff police officer saw a man he recognized as Scott Ryan Faughn enter a green Chrysler Sebring convertible.

"Knowing Faughn's driving privilege was suspended and he had recently been arrested twice for driving while suspended, I observed him as he backed from the parking space, left the lot and proceeded eastbound on Kanell Boulevard," the officer said in his report.

The officer reported he followed Faughn as he entered into southbound traffic on Westwood Boulevard and subsequently stopped his car at the intersection of Westwood and Maud Street.

"I then contacted Faughn, who presented his driver's license and proof of insurance," the officer said. "I advised him his driving privilege was still suspended to which he stated both he and his attorney had spoken with the Missouri Department of Revenue in Jefferson City, who assured him his license was no longer suspended."

Based on this information, the officer said, he contacted the department's dispatcher, providing Faughn's operator's license number for a check to be made.

That check showed him to still be suspended according to the Department of Revenue, the officer said.

"Having personal knowledge of Faughn's multiple citations and arrests for the same offense, as well as his record for failing to appear for court proceedings," he was arrested, the officer said.

Faughn subsequently was transported to the station, where he reportedly was processed on the state charge of driving while suspended at the request of Municipal Prosecuting Attorney Wade Pierce.

The 30-year-old was issued a citation for driving while suspended, with a court date of Nov. 15, and booked at the Butler County jail. He later was released.

Faughn's arrest comes 24 days after he was arrested twice by the Butler County Sheriff's Department for allegedly driving with a suspended driver's license during about a two-hour period. He also was accused of having no proof of insurance at that time.

Charges were pending Wednesday in connection with Faughn's earlier arrests.

In March 2007, Faughn was convicted by a Cape Girardeau County jury of three Class C felonies of forgery. The court followed the jury's recommendation in fining him $500 on each count for a total fine of $1,500. Faughn was accused of forging checks on an account for the U.S. 67 expansion project.

Map of pertinent addresses

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: