The Cape Girardeau Fire Department announced just after 5:30 p.m. Monday that it was evacuating the Southeast Missouri State University River Campus because of a smell of gas.
A reading taken by fire crews showed gas in the boiler room on the basement level of the River Campus.
Crews determined that the building's boiler unit was faulty, according to Brad Dillow, battalion chief.
The evacuation was a precaution, Dillow said, and no one was injured as part of the incident.
No one was available at the Southeast Missouri State University Department of Public Safety late Monday to comment on whether the problem was fixed or if facility would be open today.