- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Finish the job
"America the Beautiful" and "The Star Spangled Banner." For my 56 years of life, that's what I've sung. After nine years fighting a war in Afghanistan that we failed to finish, America no longer looks like the land of the free or the home of the brave. Her beauty is marred by fallen towers and rubble from a sneak attack. Osama bin Laden (who we were supposed to be going after in Afghanistan) hides in Kashmir, and we let Pakistan tell us we cannot tread there to capture our enemy. America has become the little skinny kid turning our milk money over to the school bully every day.
Where is Stormin' Norman, MacArthur or Patton. Would Roosevelt, Kennedy or Reagan have backed off if the bully said, "No you can't go there"? No. Rangers, Green Berets or the 101st Airborne would have introduced them to the toughest kid on the block. America, we need to finish this or bring our troops home. And if Pakistan has a problem with our invasion of the land where Bin Laden hides, go to the end of the line at the complaint department and take a number. I believe this is America the beautiful, the land of the brave and the home of the free; she just needs to get back on course.
DAVID MCNEELY, Scott City