- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
Lawmaker: Chile mine collapse warning ignored
SANTIAGO, Chile -- A Chilean legislative commission is investigating reports that mining operators ignored danger warnings from a man who was later among 33 later trapped when a mine collapsed.
Deputy Carlos Vilches, a commission member, said Tuesday that miner Juan Llanes has alleged that operators refused his request to leave the mine three hours before it collapsed on Aug. 5. Llanes reportedly had heard loud sounds that indicated a collapse could be brewing.
Vilches spoke at the opening of a public exhibit of the capsule used in last week's rescue of the miners after 69 days underground, an achievement that served as a rallying point of national pride. The exhibit in the plaza outside Chile's presidential palace is drawing hundreds of people.
Vilches represents Copiapo, the community closest to the San Jose Mine where the collapse occurred. He said he would call Llanes and other miners to testify before the commission about conditions at the mine.
Another worker, Gino Cortez, lost his leg in a smaller collapse inside the San Jose Mine in July.
The mining company's owners and supervisors of the mining operation are under investigation in connection with the earlier accident.
A spokesperson for the San Esteban mining company that owns the mine said the firm would have no comment pending possible legal proceedings.
"It's simply incredible that even in the face of the miners' warnings, measures were not taken to prevent the accident, and to ensure that they were not in the mine when the collapse occurred," said Interior Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter.
The minister oversaw a ceremony opening the exhibit of the Phoenix 2 capsule, which was used to rescue the men. Government employees could view the capsule up close, and even pose next to it for photographs, but the public had to view it from several yards away.
Painted in the red, white and blue of the Chilean flag, the capsule showed only a few scratches from its multiple trips down and up a tight tunnel to extract the 33 men and their six rescuers.
At least two cities are vying to become the permanent home for that capsule. One is Copiapo, about 50 miles west of the mine. The other is Talcahuano, 1,300 miles south, where officials feel entitled to it because the capsules were built there at a Chilean navy workshop.
Hinzpeter has suggested it will probably end up at a mining museum.
Three capsules were assigned for the rescue operation, but only two were used. They were named for the mythological bird reborn from the ashes. The other two capsules were not used but are also to be displayed. One has already been sent to China, where it will be exhibited at the Chilean Pavilion at Expo Shanghai.
Meanwhile, some the rescued miners began enjoying some of the multiple trips and other gifts they have been given, including $10,000 each from a wealthy businessman.