- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
The city of Jackson was recently named a DREAM city by the Missouri Department of Economic Development.
DREAM, an acronym for Downtown Revitalization and Economic Assistance for Missouri, gives designated cities prioritized access to state-supported programs. These include technical and financial assistance for infrastructure improvements, historic preservation, affordable housing, community services, business development and job creation.
Cape Girardeau community leaders who have been involved in the DREAM process say one of the biggest benefits of the designation is the access to urban planners. The planners meet with community leaders to help the city develop a strategic plan. Marla Mills, executive director of Old Town Cape, said the strategic plan is what opens doors to outside funding. Several Cape Girardeau projects have been funded with the $2.5 million in funding directly attributed to the opportunities DREAM provided.
Benefits that come with being named a DREAM city include access to low interest loans, matching funds and grants.
Jackson is planning to address traffic improvements, additional parking spaces and an expansion of the city's historic uptown. They also hope to enhance the city's streetscape along High Street.
Congratulations to Jackson on the DREAM designation.