- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Out of the past 10/10/10
25 years ago: Oct. 10, 1985
According to final figures, Southeast Missouri State University's fall enrollment dropped 169 from last year's record undergraduate enrollment of 8,511.
ZALMA, Mo. -- Firefighters from five Bollinger County fire departments are on "pins and needles" for more than six hours, guarding a 500-gallon liquid propane gas tank in the midst of a large house fire on Zalma's main street; many of the town's 118 residents are evacuated from within a two-block radius.
50 years ago: Oct. 10, 1960
Truman Farrow, Jackson city engineer, has resigned his position to accept a full-time engineering job in Columbus, Ohio, where he will be attached to the Federal Aviation Agency.
Almost 500 members of Group Six, Missouri Bankers Association, meet for their annual dinner in the evening in Memorial Hall.
75 years ago: Oct. 10, 1935
A swam of hornets has taken the flagpole on the drill tower at the Cape Girardeau Fire Department headquarters, with hundreds of them clustered about the base of the pole; if the hornets are dislodged in time, the firemen's contests, part of the Fire Prevention Show, will utilize the tower this evening.
The new Lueders Studio, 427 Broadway, opens; the building, built in the city's prevailing Spanish style, replaces an old frame building; it features buff brick with a tower, arched entrance, wide windows and tile roof; the owner is H.L. Lueders.
100 years ago: Oct. 10, 1910
An audience that comfortably fills the courtroom of the new federal building hears much oratory and felicitations from representatives of the several bars of this district upon the dedication of the magnificent building; federal prosecutor Charles A. Houts and Judge Dyer speak in behalf of the court and entertain the audience for several hours.
F.W. Albrecht of Jackson, who some time ago purchased a Ford automobile from the Cape Auto Co., almost immediately got cold feet, and Saturday sold the machine to Walter Black.
-- Sharon K. Sanders