- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
Speak Out 10/4/10
A casino for Cape, I sure hope not; if luck holds out, they'll find another spot.
Extending school year
IT'S going to be humorous to watch all of these so-called supporters of school reform come up with every rationale conceivable to oppose the extension of the school year. Even though it's one of the things that give other advanced countries a huge advantage, both middle and upper class parents and their progeny want summers off for vacations, golf and other learning experiences not accessible for those of lower economic status.
THE FairTax would be the largest shift of power from the federal government to the American people since the revolution. As Ronald Reagan said, "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
I challenge every candidate calling for reduced federal spending to clearly state what parts of the budget they propose cutting. It's easy to promise cuts amounting to a few percent of the deficit to rally support. A real reduction in the deficit, however, would require cuts in Medicare, Social Security, defense spending or a combination.
A local pastor told me today that he is in desperate need of housing for homeless women. While they are able to help the men who need assistance, he's had to turn the women away for lack of safe housing. Surely someone in Cape Girardeau has property they would be willing to donate for a good cause.
Religion and gambling
I am no Bible scholar, but I have checked and I cannot find anything in the Bible about gambling. I don't want to go to hell, so would someone please tell me where in the Bible it says you can't gamble? Unless I see proof, I will assume it's OK with God.
Kids and school year
AMERICANS claim to be serious about education. However, when a suggestion is made to extend the school year to equal that of other advanced nations in the world, the public will come up with every excuse in the book not to do so. To me, this illustrates that the children rule the roost.