- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)23
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- Former KFVS12 reporter talks about recovery from eating disorder (2/23/17)11
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
- Two men crack market with local cage-free eggs (2/26/17)12
Emerson's leadership is best
Tommy Sowers and his supporters consistently write this paper attacking Jo Ann Emerson and belittling our congressional district. They do it so often I'm wondering if Mr. Sowers has anything positive to say about southern Missouri at all. Last week, on national TV, Sowers went so far as to suggest some aspects of life in Iraq are better than what we enjoy here.
There's no doubt our local economy, like our nation's, is struggling, but since I moved here five years ago I've seen our infrastructure improve and our community continue to grow and develop.
As the Missourian reported, Emerson is crushing Sowers by 40 points. She's talking about the issues important to us: job-creation, keeping our taxes low, repealing the Obamacare Mr. Sowers supports, cutting spending and smaller government.
I'll take Emerson's leadership over Sowers dishonest attacks and belittling attitude any day. Apparently so will most in our district.
PATRICK RYAN VanGORKOM, 41 East Rodney Drive, Apt. 19, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701