- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Mayor of Southeast Missouri town dies following shooting
LILBOURN, Mo. (AP) -- An autopsy is planned on a rural Southeast Missouri mayor who died two days after being shot in the head by a councilman who later killed himself.
New Madrid County Sheriff Terry Stevens tells KFVS-TV of Cape Girardeau that 56-year-old Lilbourn Mayor Leonard Thomas died Tuesday after being taken off life support at a Memphis hospital.
An autopsy was planned for Wednesday by the county's coroner.
Investigators say witnesses told them that 56-year-old Lonnie Moore and Thomas had been arguing Sunday when it escalated. On Sunday night, authorities found Moore dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound and Thomas with a gunshot wound to the head.
Stevens says Moore shot Thomas before killing himself.
Information from: KFVS-TV, http://www.kfvs12.com