- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Out of the past 9/22/10
25 years ago: Sept. 22, 1985
Ken Martin and Jeannie Hink are preparing to open the Little Ole Opry around the middle of October at 272 E. Main St. in Jackson; the facility will be a place where musicians can bring and play their instruments in a family-type atmosphere.
Beginning Sept. 29, the 8:30 a.m. Sunday Mass at St. Mary's Cathedral will be aired live over the new KZIM frequency, 960 AM; originally a project of the Knights of Columbus, the Mass has been heard over KEWI-AM for about 14 years.
50 years ago: Sept. 22, 1960
According to the Bureau of the Census, the number of separate farms in Cape Girardeau County dropped 353 in the five-year period ending in 1959; the count of farms, taken in the fall of 1959, showed 1,960 in the county.
A new face is being given the Himmelberger-Harrison Building; under a construction program now underway, the glass panels on the Fountain Street and Broadway sides of the building will be removed; the windows will be bricked to a set level; above the brick, horizontally around the Missouri Utilities Co. office, will be a two-foot strip of glass; above this will be a 4 1/2-foot strip of aqua zorite, a porcelain-covered aluminum paneling.
75 years ago: Sept. 22, 1935
The Rev. R.M. Talbert of Cape Girardeau begins his seventh year as pastor of the Christian Church at Charleston, Mo.; he was unanimously re-elected to that position at a congregational meeting last Sunday.
The Rev. C.G. Bohannon assumes his duties as the new pastor of the Nazarene Church; he succeeds the Rev. J.E. Smith, who has gone to Alabama to do evangelistic work.
100 years ago: Sept. 22, 1910
The county jail at Jackson is nearing completion, and the plumbers are putting the final touches on the new building; it will be ready for occupancy as soon as the County Court accepts the work.
County engineer Dennis Scivally has just returned from a trip to Allenville, Burfordville, Millersville and other points in the western part of the county, where he was looking after bridge and culvert work; yesterday he let the contract for the foundations of two steel bridges to be built near Oak Ridge.
-- Sharon K. Sanders