- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)22
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)10
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
Water and coffee
Coffee drinkers in much of the world take for granted the fact that the water used to make the coffee is pure and safe to consume. That's not the case everywhere, especially in many Third World countries where water for drinking comes from a variety of unsanitary sources. For more than a quarter of a century, Rotary International has supported and funded clean-water projects. Now there is a direct Cape Girardeau connection to this worldwide effort.
Through a program shepherded by Bill Prost, a member of the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau, sales of Green Mountain Coffee are being used by Rotary clubs to raise money for Rotary International's water projects. Prost, who has an extensive background in marketing, put together the fundraising project and received the support of Rotary International.
In a recent issue of The Rotarian, a magazine distributed to members around the world, the back cover was devoted to the Green Mountain Coffee fundraising opportunity for water projects.
Already, this effort has funded several water projects, and with the high visibility fostered by the Rotary International backing, many more projects will be initiated.
Hats off to Prost and to Rotary International for addressing the clean-water needs around the world.