- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
High school round up: Burger squeeze bunt helps ND improve to 12-0 in softball
The Notre Dame softball team remained perfect on the season with Wednesday's 2-0 victory over host Festus.
"They're a quality ballclub," said Notre Dame coach Jeff Graviett, whose squad is the defending Class 3 state champion. "If we make it to the postseason, we might see them again."
While Notre Dame improved to 12-0, junior Katie Bond is 11-0 after pitching a three-hitter. She struck out five and walked one.
The Bulldogs, who had five hits, scored in the third inning on an RBI squeeze bunt by junior Summer Burger.
Notre Dame's final run scored on an error in the sixth inning.
WP -- Katie Bond, 11-0. LP -- Carter. Records -- 12-0.
Kelly 1, Central 0
Kelly squeezed past host Central by scoring an unearned run in the seventh inning.
Kristen Vetter singled with one out, Sydney Vinyard sacrificed and pinch runner Michaela Gean came all the way around on an error.
Kristen Powell pitched a five-hitter for the Hawks (9-3). She struck out seven and walked three.
Kadie Orenstein was the tough-luck loser for the Tigers (5-7). She struck out six and didn't walk a batter.
WP -- Kristen Powell. LP -- Kadie Orenstein. Records -- Kelly 9-3, Central 5-7.
Scott City 12, Oran 8
Jenna Cummins and Macy Hall both went 3 for 4 to help the Rams (8-2) post the home win.
Alexis Spriggs was the winning pitcher and also doubled twice.
Halle Woodfin went 4 for 4, while Molly McConnell, Amanda Williams and Courtney Scheeter all added two hits for the Eagles in the loss.
WP -- Alexis Spriggs. LP -- Morgan Todt. 2B -- Amanda Williams (O), Halle Woodfin (O), Spriggs (SC) 2, Macy Hall (SC). Multiple his -- Oran: Molly McConnell 2-4, Williams 2-4, Woodfin 4-4, Courtney Scheeter 2-4; Scott City: Melanie Lacey 2-4, Spriggs 2-4, Hall 3-4, Jenna Cummins 3-4.
The Tigers notched their second win in two nights by rolling past the visiting Bulldogs.
Central (8-7-2) received five kills, three digs and two aces from Chelsey Brown. Chelsea Pannier and Tori Scheller both had four kills, while Megan Myers recorded 15 assists.
JV -- Central won 25-22, 25-11.
|Meadow Hts||25||25 Oak Ridge||12||9|
Heather Dietiker and Erin Bollmann both had eight kills to lead the visiting Panthers.
Meadow Heights (7-5) also received five kills from both Jillian Mills and Gina Cureton.
JV -- Meadow Heights won 25-13, 25-10.
Farmington 2, Notre Dame 0
The Black Knights scored a goal in each half to shut out the host Bulldogs (5-3).
-- From staff reports