- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
East Prairie man charged with shooting stepfather after argument
EAST PRAIRIE, Mo. -- A 19-year-old East Prairie man is charged in the shooting Saturday night of his stepfather.
The Sikeston Standard Democrat reported Gage Holland is charged with first-degree assault and armed criminal action for the shooting of Harold Clough, 37. Holland is being held in the Mississippi County Detention Center in lieu of $500,000 cash bond.
According to East Prairie Police Chief Danny Lafferty, officers were called to 711 E. Washington St. at 11:27 p.m. Saturday.
Lafferty said Holland has indicated the shooting followed an argument between the two men. "He alleges that the argument led to him being hit a couple of time so (Holland) went to gun cabinet in his room and took out gun and shot him," said Lafferty.
Clough was shot in the groin area with a slug from a 20-gauge shotgun. He was taken to a hospital in Cape Girardeau where he was listed in satisfactory condition, the police chief reported.
Holland fled the scene but was arrested around 10 a.m. Sunday at a residence in East Prairie. Lafferty said Holland was arrested without incident and the gun used in the shooting was recovered by his officers.