- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)12
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Local foodies share most romantic places (2/22/18)
- Missouri governor indicted on invasion of privacy charge (2/23/18)6
September is Hunger Action Month.
Southeast Missouri Food Bank is part of a national movement to raise awareness and take action to fight hunger in America.
Southeast Missouri Food Bank is focusing their awareness effort on child hunger in Southeast Missouri. Many children who receive free or reduced priced school meals are left without adequate nutrition on the weekends. The BackPacks For Friday program, a Feeding America initiative, is provided locally by the Southeast Missouri Food Bank. The program attempts to fill this gap and reduce child hunger by providing children who are at risk of hunger with a bag a nutritious food every Friday throughout the school year.
Throughout the month, Southeast Missouri Food Bank is working to engage our community to take action through the 30 Ways in 30 Days campaign. Individuals are asked to pledge their "way" to make a difference, and take part in the fight against child hunger in Southeast Missouri. In addition, throughout the month, there will be doable, daily "ways" to take action posted on their website- semofoodbank.org, along with many additional suggestions for getting involved.
Throughout September, there will be numerous opportunities to get involved. These opportunities will range from canned food drives to support BackPacks For Friday program, a Family Volunteer Day, and ways to support the work Southeast Missouri Food Bank does every day.
Please bring your family and expose them to the great satisfaction of volunteering while learning about Southeast Missouri Food Bank during a Family Volunteer Day. We invite the community of Southeast Missouri to join us at our main office and warehouse at 3920 Nash Road, to volunteer from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. We will have activities for all ages, making it fun and rewarding for the whole family.
Anyone who wants to learn more, find canned food drive locations, items to donate, or take a My Way Pledge can visit the Southeast Missouri Food Bank website at semofoodbank.org. For more information, call 573.651.0400.
Canned Food Drives:
September 2nd- Alliance Bank, Sikeston
September 3rd- Schnucks, Cape
September 4th- Sav-a-lot, Cape & Sikeston
September 11th- Sav-a-lot, Cape & Sikeston
September 18th-19th- West Park Mall- Main Entrance, Cape
September 20th- Sav-a-lot, Cape & Jackson
All Month Long- Montgomery Bank- Locations including: Cape, Jackson, Chaffee, Sikeston, Miner, & Dexter
Islamic Center, Cape
Main Street Fitness- Jackson
Example Items to Donate:
Tuna, Cereal, Mac N Cheese, Peanut Butter, Applesauce, Muffin Mix, Apple Juice, Oatmeal, Mixed Vegetables, Corn, Spaghetti Rings, Carrots, Beef Stew, Green Beans, Fruit Cocktail